“Look, I have given you authority over
all the power of the enemy, and you can
walk among snakes and scorpions and
crush them. Nothing will injure you.
Authority is defined as: a power or right delegated or given.
There is no authority except that which God has established. Our authority is established in God. As children of God, and believers to the fact that Jesus Christ, died and on the third day rose, and resurrected to heaven and is now seated at the right hand of the father, having authority and dominion over all things and a name above every name; we have been given by God, delegated authority to use this powerful name of Jesus Christ, whilst we are here on earth.
The source of our authority is rooted in God and His power as written in Ephesians 1:19-23, it reads “19 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power 20 that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. 21 Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come. 22 God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. 23 And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself. (NLT)
How do we understand the authority we have and use as a believer? We do this by embracing:
- Knowledge: We must have absolute knowledge of our position and meaning in Jesus Christ and Satan’s defeat. When we give our lives to Jesus Christ and become saved, we become identified in the eyes of God and of satan with the Crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We become co-resurrected, co-ascended, co-seated, Join heirs with Jesus Christ. This means that we have delegated authority, power and dominion over satan through the name of Jesus Christ. The saddest thing is that God knows this, even satan knows this, but most believers don’t know this. It is impossible to exercise the authority you do not know you have! Hosea 4:6a reads “My people are being destroyed because they don’t know me ….”
- Belief & Faith: We must believe and have unwavering faith in God’s word. To belief and be a believer means that we have personally accepted, confessed Jesus Christ as our Lord and saviour, and therefore have eternal life in Him as described in John 3:36, which reads “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”. To declare believe in God means we have faith in Him and in His word (He and His word are one). Belief and faith is by no means passive feeling or decision it is active. The exercise of our authority through faith in the word of God that we belief is meant to produce works, through our words and actions as explained in James 2:26, which reads “Just as the body is dead without breath,[so also faith is dead without good works.Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works”.
- Humility: This when an individual is not proud or arrogant, and is modest. Humility is what will help us to keep exercising the power, authority and dominion we have as a child of God. There will be times when pride will dictate that we don’t embrace a modest stance, or hold back the tongue. However, we must understand that with humility comes God’s infinite wisdom as we are taught in Proverbs 11:2, which reads “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom”. With God’s wisdom, we will know how and when to exercise our authority; when to abase and when to abound.
- Boldness: True boldness comes from realising our positions and authority in Jesus Christ and being filled with the Holy Spirit. Like David realised his true position in God, he was bold to face the Giant Goliath in 1 Samuel, 17:49, which reads “Reaching into his shepherd’s bag and taking out a stone, he hurled it with his sling and hit the Philistine in the forehead. The stone sank in, and Goliath stumbled and fell face down on the ground”.
- Awareness: A realisation that as a child of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ as declared in Galatians4: 6–7, which reads “6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ”. As joint heirs, we are in the place of intense spiritual conflict, hence on the devil’s rather, hence we must exercise our authority. If we are already on the devil’s side, he will have no reason to pay us any attention. However he will do anything to stop the believer who has a clear understanding of his or her authority, inheritance and rightful place in Jesus Christ. He is afraid and mindful of such an individual because he knows they have the wisdom and the determination to enforce and maintain the dominion Jesus Christ gave us. He knows they have the wisdom to put he and his demons in their rightful place … permanently underfoot!
As you step into the new month of October, the 1st day of the last three months of the year 2009, I encourage you to awaken to the realisation of your God given authority as a believer, as a child of God. I encourage you to seek God, study His word and ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand that you do have the Right , Power and Authority
over that ‘circumstance’, ‘wilderness’ or ‘issue’ that you are going through. I beseech you to rise up and actively use your authority, to change
your situation and enable you to make tremendous haste and speed, both physically and spiritually.
So, to that mountain, that situation, that problem, that sickness, that exam result, that breakdown, that hindrance, or road block in your way, I command you to alter your stance,
arise, point your prophetic finger at it and declare along the lines of… “In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (The Crucifixion, burial, resurrection and seating and His victory over death and over satan) I command you to ………
(insert your victory song right there!).
Exercise your God given authority, in every area of your life, further enabling you to finish this year strong and well; whilst making God famous along the way.
Much Love, Remi
***pictures by photobucket***